This IDC market perspective provides an overview and analysis of the open source Istio service mesh and the ecosystem that has formed around it. The document details Istio’s origins, purpose, and architecture and describes how vendors such as Avi Networks, Cisco, Google Cloud, IBM, Aspen Mesh, NGINX, Pivotal, and Red Hat are addressing service mesh requirements.
Download the report to learn:
- About application services for microservices environments and Istio’s role
- How decoupling the control plane and proxy-based data plane is a prerequisite for enabling dynamic service delivery
- How to address secure service-to-service communication, authentication, traffic management, and observability
- How extensions of Istio service mesh beyond Kubernetes future proofs environments so they can run across multiple clusters or clouds
- About support for not only containers but applications on virtual machines, bare metal, and multiple public clouds